Re: redisplay system of emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: redisplay system of emacs
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:21:17 -0500

     > Exactly.  This aspect of things is what the term "ecosystem" does not
     > recognize, and that's why it is better not to use that term here.

    I really am amused by this turn of discussion, because advocates of
    copyleft are in precisely the same position.  Their *amoral*,
    objective analysis of human behavior

This is a paradox -- an appearance of contradiction that comes from
a misunderstanding.

The argument for copyleft comes from taking a moral stance towards the
situation in which many people do not follow our moral ideals.  It is
a fact that many people in our field take an amoral stance towards
this issue, and it is important to recognize the facts, but that is
not the same as taking an amoral stance ourselves.

By contrast, if we call our software an "ecosystem", then we take
an amoral stance.  That's what we shouldn't do.

Thus, the difference between _our stance_ and our recognition of
_others' stances_ dispels the paradox.