Re: visual-line-mode tweaks

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: visual-line-mode tweaks
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 08:56:18 -0800 (PST)

> (1) Maybe visual-line-mode should turn off auto-fill-mode -- it's
> annoying to have your lines truncated physically when editing a file
> that intentionally uses a line-per-paragraph, and it's very common for
> auto-fill mode to be turned on by default.

I don't think it's a good idea to make it automatic, because one might
have some very long lines that one likes to peruse/edit with v-l-m and yet
be writing text that isn't meant to be line-per-para.

So, I would suggest adding a convenience command: perhaps
`visual-line-nofill'.  If v-l-m were off, it would turn it on and turn off
auto-fill-mode.  Otherwise, it would turn off v-l-m and turn on a-f-m.
(The downside would be that two invocations of the command would not be a
no-op, but would instead set a-f-m to the opposite of your original v-l-m
setting.  I doubt anyone would be harmed, but that's why I gave it a name
not ending in "mode".)

Davis

shipping.