Re: Bind `q' to `quit-window' or similar in *Messages*

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Bind `q' to `quit-window' or similar in *Messages*
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 09:24:57 +0100

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

Ups, sorry.  I'm sick, and my head fell on the keyboard sending the
message before it was finished... :-)

>> Roland Winkler <address@hidden> writes:
>>> ...which brings us back to the original request: most often it is
>>> used for viewing what is happening, so that most people probably were
>>> happy if `q' had the same quit-window binding it has in other buffers
>>> that are not intended for editing.
>>
>> Indeed.
>
> 99% of the time, I use it that way, too.  But when debugging some elisp
> code, I sometimes add markers there, like Drew pointed out.  So how
> about this idea:
>
>   - *Messages* is read-only
>   - `q' buries the buffer
>   - `m' is bound to a new command that provides an interface to

Ok, `m' would be bound to a new command that provides an interface to
`message'.  It would read a format string, and if that contains %s and
friends, it would read those (with elisp completion).

That way, I could quickly add a marker with

or get some more useful informations with

  m %d^2 = %d RET 3 RET (* 3 3) RET.

One problem I see, is that would always append to *Messages*, and I
guess some users want to be able to write anywhere...

Bye,
Tassilo