Re: [emacs-bidi] Mixed L2R and R2L paragraphs and horizontal scroll

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Mixed L2R and R2L paragraphs and horizontal scroll
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 17:13:29 -0500

>> This how it is done in Hebrew newspapers and in HTML, and this is how
>> Hebrew readers are used to it (of course newspapers and HTML don't
>> breaks words, but that is the only difference).
> Please!  Newspapers don't have truncated and continued lines, they
> have newlines between every two lines.  With newlines, the bidi
> display will show exactly what you (and every other Hebrew reader)
> expect.

I'm not sure whether newpapers really have such newlines (at least for
paper newspapers, it's a philosophical question).  But I think Ehud's
argument makes sense if you consider that currently (i.e. in L2R only
text), adding a newline where Emacs wraps a line, leads to "the same
display" (modulo line-wrapping glyphs in the fringe and things like
that, obviously).  And I understand Ehud's argument as saying that the
same should hold for R2L and mixed text.

It seems at least a reasonable point of view.  Is your point of view
based on the fact that it seems difficult/impossible to implement, or is
it based on the fact that you think Ehud's expectation is weird?

If it's just "difficult", then (just like rigid scrolling), it can be
kept as a known shortcoming.

How do other line-wrapping text editors with bidi support behave with
such long mixed-L2R-R2L lines?

        Stefan