Re: off-topic: `virtual' files

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: off-topic: `virtual' files
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 23:36:49 +0200

> Sometimes I'm downloading big files which have been split into chunks,
> say, a 1GByte file into ten chunks with 100MByte each.  Currently, I
> have to concatenate all files into a new file to be able to access it
> as a whole.  I now wonder whether it is possible to group these chunks
> into a virtual file (similar to virtual file systems), avoiding this
> copying.  BTW, I'm using a GNU/Linux box.

A recent discussion (no implementation yet):
should be also possible to implement with http://www.filesystems.org/

Back on topic: WIBNI to have a command to read a set of related files
into one buffer like

  M-x multi-find-file RET ChangeLog* RET

Then operations on multiple files grouped into a virtual file would be more
simple (e.g. normal search/replace instead of `A' and `Q' in Dired, etc.)

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/