Re: [emacs-bidi] Mixed L2R and R2L paragraphs and horizontal scroll

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Mixed L2R and R2L paragraphs and horizontal scroll
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 17:42:36 +0200

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 15:47:37 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> The reordering code can do what you want if we somehow tell it at
> which _buffer_position_ to stop, as if it hits a newline or a
> paragraph separator.  But buffer positions are not equivalent to
> display positions, due to display features like:
>
>   . variable fonts and faces
>   . glyphs that come from overlays, `display' properties, images, etc.
>   . `wrap-prefix' and `line-prefix' variables
>   . composite characters
>   . tab expansion
>
> (probably forgot a few).  Note that the last one affects text
> terminals as well, so even there you cannot simply count characters.

I see your point. I don't think variable fonts, tabs or composite
characters are a real problem (tabs are taken into account in
fill-paragraph, and the others can be handled by setting the
`right-margin' to a value below the screen width). The text overlays
are a real problem when they exist.

> The problem is that, for the reasons I explain above and in a previous
> message in this thread, what you suggest will still end up overflowing
> the margin sometimes, and we are back with the same problem.  (If I
> understood your suggestion, that is; if not, please point out where
> I'm wrong.)

I understand, but since I'm using wide screens (130 columns at work,
over 180 at home), I can set the my line length for the virtual
`fill-paragraph' to a lower value (say 110) and hope that it won't
overflow, even if it is exceeded by some characters.

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7976-561  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign