Re: [emacs-bidi] Mixed L2R and R2L paragraphs and horizontal scroll

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Mixed L2R and R2L paragraphs and horizontal scroll
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 21:38:14 +0200

> Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 13:39:11 +0000
> From: David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden>
> CC: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > I have Yudit installed, but I cannot get it to display Hebrew text (it
> > shows hex numbers instead); if someone knows how to do that on
> > Windows, please tell.
>
> Well, I don't really, but some searching turned up
>
> http://indictrans.in/en/documentation/howto/yuditwindowshowto
>
> Which suggests you have to copy a ttf (presumably with the relevant
> glyphs...) to the fonts directory under your yudit installation, rather
> than expecting it to pick up windows installed fonts,  and declare it
> ttf in the yudit.properties file.
>
> There's also
> http://www.yudit.org/en/howto/configure/
> and question 8 in the FAQ looks relevant:
> http://www.yudit.org/en/faq/

I've read all of these, and even found and fixed some problems they
don't mention (e.g., the yudit.properties file sets data and font
paths to something Unixy, like /usr/share/yudit or
/home/gsinai/build/share/yudit).  It still shows only hex numbers
instead of text in R2L languages.

A Windows port that does not automatically use the installed fonts
is not really a port, IMO.  Strangely, I didn't find anything on the
Internet that would help; evidently, there aren't too many Windows
users of Yudit.