Re: file-truename, convert-standard-filename

From: MON KEY
Subject: Re: file-truename, convert-standard-filename
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 16:32:55 -0500

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> (require 'foo)
>>
>> Which is the string of the filename referenced in the above form?
>
> As Andreas points out, rather than looking at a small portion of the
> doc string, why don't you read it in its entirety?  The answer to your
> question is there.

FWIW the string quoted is what appears in apropos... which is why i
referenced it as such.

None the less, the FEATURE 'foo is not a filename and does not
designate the optional arg FILENAME.
In the docstring of `require' FILENAME is an optional argument.

In the example above the feature 'foo is a quoted symbol. There is no
second arg FILENAME.

Is the second arg implicit by virtue the ``printname of FEATURE''?

(print 'foo (current-buffer))

Where is the string?

The reality is that  behind the scenes Emacs is interpolating the
symbol FEATURE to a filename string which corresponds; _not_
necessarily to FILENAME the arg. On the face of it this does not make
them one and the same. Rather the opposite actually. My point is only
that Emacs does not always make a clear distinction between files as
objects and files as strings.

Or am I misinterpreting what occurs?

/s_P\