Re: redisplay system of emacs

From: alin.s
Subject: Re: redisplay system of emacs
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 08:53:31 -0800 (PST)

I did not want to state categorically that such or such solution is the good
one.

For example, if every emacs-window would be composed of lots of subwindows
on server side, that lots of sub-windows could be completely hidden. Never
use them to write something in them. They just report exactly the part of
the buffer that should be redisplayed. They only catch and report events.
They are invisible.

Redisplay_internal does lots and lots of computations to detect which part
of the buffer should be redisplayed at a given moment. All these
computations can be avoided using a system of subwindows (1 for every char).
That was my idea: to replace redisplay_internal with something simple and
efficient. Something simple and efficient is to keep in the emacs a vector
of little windows, and to register in the server all these windows.

The structure of windows is changed only when configure event is caught or
when one changes the font, or split windows, etc. So very rarely.

95% of the operations of redisplay can be covered with the system of little
windows registered in the server. No more need of redisplay_internal for X.