Re: visible-bell patch for Mac OS X

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: visible-bell patch for Mac OS X
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 15:45:17 +0900

> YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:
>> BTW, I noticed that the GTK+ build may also flash part of scroll
>> bars if GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS is not set.

> Is this a "known" (maybe gtk+ people did not see fit to mention it
> through any sensible channels to emacs people?) scrollbar issue:

> Gtk+, like Qt [1], has moved away from most use of X11 subwindows.

> see: http://live.gnome.org/GTK%2B/ClientSideWindows

> * Problems that will require application changes

>      * emacs 23 (with gtk): o Sometimes when pressing Ctrl-L the
> scrollbars are overdrawn with white and not repainted. This is due
> to emacs using raw X primitives to draw on the window, while the
> scrollbars are client side emulated windows. Emacs could make the
> scrollbars native and this would make sure they weren't overdrawn

I think Jan already worked hard to cope with client-side-windows for
many crucial cases, and this flashing over scroll bars in visible bell
is relatively minor.

Another minor issue I've just found is disappearance of scroll bar
when dragging an edge between mode lines horizontally (i.e., to change
the width of windows):

  1. emacs -Q
  2. C-x 3
  (2.5. Optionally, C-x o followed by C-x 2)
  3. Drag the edge between the mode lines at the bottom center in
     order to move the scroll bar horizontally.

Then the scroll bar at the center disappears until you stop dragging.
This does not happen when GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1.

(It would also be interesting to compare the result of the above
experiment between NS and Mac ports.)

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden