Re: "Warning: `save-excursion' defeated by `set-buffer'" madness

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: "Warning: `save-excursion' defeated by `set-buffer'" madness
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:50:54 +0100

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 09:40:58AM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > -- it appears when invoking `ibuffer', for instance, but not with
> > emacs -q; and I have no customization of ibuffer whatsoever, so I have
> > no idea what could be the issue there.
>
> Can you reproduce it at will?
> If so, can you M-x debug-on-entry RET byte-compile-warn RET, then
> reproduce it and then show us the backtrace (and maybe also the result
> of "e form RET" since `form' may be truncated in the backtrace).

Yes, please see the attached file.
[`form' evaluates to
(save-excursion (set-buffer (car bbdb-complete-name-callback-data))
(apply (quote delete-region) (cdr bbdb-complete-name-callback-data))),
but it's visible from the backtrace just fine]

So it's BBDB-related again, but really Icicles-initiated in this case. I
didn't suspect Icicles originally, as I had it off when invoking
`ibuffer', but now that I tried not even requiring Icicles in my init file,
the problem goes away. Also, even with Icicles loaded, it only happens
the first time `ibuffer' is invoked; so it's probably related to all
those re-initializations Icicles is doing; I'm cc-ing Drew in case he
was interested (icicles.el is Update #: 22624).

Thanks,

    Štěpán