Re: Commit netiquette.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Commit netiquette.
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:19:08 -0500

>      ----------------
>      blablabla
>      ----------------

>    where <blablabla> is the text taken from the ChangeLog.  Then for
>    backends which support the notion of summary-line, C-c C-c could
>    just signal an error if the Summary line is still blank.

> That seems overly forceful, emacs is not just by emacs developers, it
> is used by an immense number of people.

I don't see a problem with that.  Some people already asks to be able to
commit without having to go through the log-edit step, so the same
config var can be used to decide whether empty commit messages are
accepted (since they currently are, that would most likely be the
default value, which we could modify in the emacs/.dir-locals.el).

BTW, such "enforcement" is useful for a lot more than Emacs's developers.

>    After that, empty header entries will get removed and the text is
>    passed as-is to the backend who is then free to pass it as-is to
>    the underlying VCS or to extract the various fields and do whatever
>    it feels like with them.

> This will not help those who use C-c C-a in vc-mode.

I don't see how that interacts.  Clearly C-a C-a would bring the text
into the body part of the message.  Am I missing something?

        Stefan