Re: Next pretest, and branching plans

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Next pretest, and branching plans
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 21:53:21 +0100

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Lennart seems to know what kind of solution worked for you in the
>> past, so perhaps Lennart could try fixing that, or at least describing
>> what changed in Emacs that broke that solution, whatever it is.  I
>> don't have Outlook set up to even try what you describe.
>
> (Perhaps this really belongs in the bug #5299 thread?)
>
> I have no idea what problems you had previously, or what caused the recent
> problem.
>
> But I can (and do) use `M-x report-emacs-bug' fine with Emacs releases 22 and
> 23
> (and with pretests, before I reported the bug). It works fine in those
> releases
> (still).
>
> My mail client is Outlook, but I don't know if your mail client has anything
> do with your problems using `M-x report-emacs-bug'.
>
> Something was changed since the Emacs 23.1 release, so that this became
> broken.
> It _is_ a regression, at least for my use case with an external mail client
> (Outlook). If it never worked for you, that's unfortunate, but that does not
> mean that it never worked.

Yes, it is a regression. I spent quite a lot of time finding a simple
useful solution before (the one that is broken now).

It was a w32 only solution so I guess it has been broken by someone
who does not understand the general nature of the OS interface.

> I don't think (but I don't know) that whatever enabled `report-emacs-bug' to
> work previously was Outlook-specific. It might have been something
> Windows-specific (dunno). It might have been something specific for use with
> an
> external mail client (any external client) - dunno. But I doubt that it was
> something Outlook-specific.

No, the mail client has nothing to do with it. The solution was
general enough to use any mail client on w32.