Re: custom-reevaluate-setting / custom-initialize-delay

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: custom-reevaluate-setting / custom-initialize-delay
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 22:47:17 -0500

On Feb 23, 2010, at 8:14 PM, Glenn Morris wrote:
> + ;;;###autoload(custom-initialize-delay 'send-mail-function nil)
> +
>  ;;;###autoload
>  (defcustom mail-header-separator (purecopy "--text follows this line--")

That's a smaller change and maybe the right thing to do right now, but I'd
still like to understand why you accept the initialization mechanism in
startup.el to init only at dump time and not at run-time in the case of
send-mail-function. That's what seemed to be the real problem.  Adding code to
loaddefs.el seems like a workaround.

Btw. I considered a solution like yours, but I didn't figure you could do this
sort of thing with the ###autoload cookies.  I thought, from a comment in
autoload.el, that they were restricted to defcustoms and defuns.