Re: bug#5490: 23.1.91; CC Mode, after a while, everything is topmost-int

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: bug#5490: 23.1.91; CC Mode, after a while, everything is topmost-intro.
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:58:17 +0000

Jan, Miles,

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:59:06AM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> "Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:
> >>     M-: (c-state-cache-init)

> >> , and tell me if this clears the buggy state.

> > No, it does not.  Run with Emacs taken from trunk 2010-02-24, around
> > 11.00 UTC.

> Yeah, I've been noticing the same problem a lot recently , and
> (c-state-cache-init) doesn't seem to help.

> Neither does re-invoking c++-mode (which in the past I've found is often
> a good way to clear indentation bugs due to c++-mode caching bugs).
> Deleting the buffer and re-visiting the file is the only way I've found
> to get things working again.

Reinitialising a CC Mode doesn't clear text properties from the buffer.
Perhaps it should.

> It does seem to always occur somewhere following use of template'd
> types though, so I imagine it's probs with the < and > chars.

As always.  These little characters are horrors to deal with in C++ Mode.
Their treatment is gradually improving.

In particular, I fixed some "silly" bugs concerned with them and
committed the fix yesterday evening (UCT+2).  Hopefully, things will run
more smoothly from now on.

> [The annoying thing is that while it's very repeatable at the time it
> occurs, it doesn't repeat for different emacs sessions, so I'm not
> entirely sure how to go about reporting the bug...]

Bob did so splendidly with a dribble file and CC Mode configuration
(generated by C-c C-b).  Anyhow, it might be working properly now.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).