Re: patch for emacsclient to support GNU_NODE

From: Hugh Holbrook
Subject: Re: patch for emacsclient to support GNU_NODE
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 14:37:14 -0800

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 6:26 AM, Davis Herring <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Excuse my ignorance, but where could I look up what this is for?
>
> It just lets emacsclient send a directory name to Emacs that (on Emacs'
> machine) provides remote access to emacsclient's machine, so that Emacs
> can open files that emacsclient refers to it that are not reachable with
> just the literal filename given.  (Apparently it has to be to the root of
> that machine, since it's just prepended?)

Yes, precisely.  So for example, a file that is called /tmp/foobar by
the emacsclient process might be reachable using NFS as
/net/myhost/tmp/foobar on the host where emacs is running.  You would
set GNU_NODE to /net/myhost in this case.

In my use case, I am invoking emacsclient from within a chrooted shell
and using TCP to connect to an emacs process that is running on the
same host, but outside the chroot.  Every file in the chroot is
nameable in the root file system, but with a different path prefix.

GNU_NODE_EXCLUDE is useful if some directory is mounted with the same
path on both the client and server machine.  In my case, the home
directory is special-cased and appears as /home/username to both the
emacs and emacsclient process.

Hope that helps to explain why this is useful.

Thanks,

-Hugh