Re: emacs-w3m?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-w3m?
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 13:38:49 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 12:10:49 +0100
>
> I'm sure that doing a blind commit was deemed as an unaceptable
> practice on the CVS days too, and the checks are similar
> (`diff').

I think the problem is with the following ``feature'' of "bzr add":

  Adding a file whose parent directory is not versioned will implicitly
  add the parent, and so on up to the root. This means you should never
  need to explicitly add a directory, they’ll just get added when you
  add a file in the directory.

The second sentence explains the rationale behind this feature.  But
in this case, Bob mistakenly added a single file, and that ended up
adding the whole directory.  By contrast, "cvs add" is explicitly
non-recursive, AFAIR.

The question is: how do we tell users, and especially non-experienced
ones, to avoid this pitfall?  Obviously, discouraging the use of
"bzr add" is a non-starter.