AW: Fwd: CEDET sync

From: Berndl, Klaus
Subject: AW: Fwd: CEDET sync
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 08:58:00 +0100

>From my point of view which is also ECBs point of view:

Supporting not only Emacs but also Xemacs should be a value upheld be tools
like CEDET and ECB, even when merged into Emacs. But cause of some really heavy
incompatibilities between these both flavors of Emacs it is a smart move to
decide where to invest the main power (of development). And IMHO a) GNU Emacs
has high potential future (just compare the different traffic on the both
development mailing lists) whereas b) Xemacs is headed south (again IMHO) and
will be of little importance for software development - but a) one only if it
(Emacs) goes the way towards a really Integrated development environment (IDE)
- for this a stable backbone like CEDET is essetial and also essential that
this backbone is a stable part of Emacs.

Eric, please do not wait with CEDET 1.0 release until thew cows come
home...IMHO CEDET 1.0 should have been released month (or even years) ago...
Push it out and that's it. Then please merge the two code bases as soon as
possible and factorize out all Xemacs-compatibility stuff into some separated
libraries like cedet-xemacs-support.el. I have decided to this for my ECB to
make a clear code-basis for the main development direction (which is Emacs). So
on one hand CEDET will have a unique code-structure and can be evolved easily
even with two repositories (Emacs and CEDET-project) and you can uphold the
Xemacs-compatibility by just maintaining the "cedet-xemacs-support.el"...

For a tool like ECB it's a pain to support two different main interfaces for
one external library. So i second Stefan and my vote for the priorities is: No
further effort for CEDET 1.0 but all effort into the merge. Many many many ...
many thanks in advance from me!

Best Regards
Klaus