Re: AW: Fwd: CEDET sync

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: AW: Fwd: CEDET sync
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 10:35:59 +0100

> Berndl, Klaus writes:
>
>  > Supporting not only Emacs but also Xemacs should be a value upheld
>  > be tools like CEDET and ECB, even when merged into Emacs. But cause
>  > of some really heavy incompatibilities between these both flavors
>  > of Emacs it is a smart move to decide where to invest the main
>  > power (of development). And IMHO a) GNU Emacs has high potential
>  > future (just compare the different traffic on the both development
>  > mailing lists) whereas b) Xemacs is headed south (again IMHO)
>
> The reports of the death of XEmacs are greatly exaggerated.  Look
> here:

Worms may wriggle, too.  The question is whether there is a central
agency moving forward.  There has been recent rekindling of work in core
areas, but following years of quiescence.

As long as everybody caters for _his_ favorite editor and takes care not
to sabotage the work of others catering for _theirs_, the systems will
thrive according to the interest in them.  I would recommend against
dedicating resources to systems you don't actively use yourself.
Putting projects on foreign "life support" is not going to make them
survive on their own strengths.

--
David Kastrup