Re: AW: Fwd: CEDET sync

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: AW: Fwd: CEDET sync
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:13:24 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Berndl, Klaus
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>>I think the worst problem is the scattering of scarce resources. Eric
>>>Ludlam is such a resource ;-)
>>
>> exactly - therefore my vote for focussing the scarce resources to the most
>> important tasks - otherwise there will be a very high risk to get bogged
>> down...
>
> And you are of course a scarce resource too and I have noticed you
> have had difficulties to find time to support ECB as you want to.
>
> It is a common and serious problem and one we must fight if we want
> free software to succeed.
>
> The diversity hits the users too. As I have said I recently had a
> discussion with a long term GNU/Linux user who jump off to Windows 7
> because the quality of the mid-level library was too low on GNU/Linux.
> The key factor was the diversity (too many libraries doing the same
> thing) which he thought creates this problem.
>
> I think solving this is urgent - and very, very difficult.

Common sense.

The main issue is that as soon as you suggest concentrating resources in
any shape or form then the usual suspects jump out and accuse you of
being anti Freedom and choice.

Its madness.

Support the main Emacs distribution and let the tiny minority who want
their own little niche port it over if necessary.