Re: AW: Fwd: CEDET sync

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: AW: Fwd: CEDET sync
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 00:23:33 +0900

David Kastrup writes:

 > Worms may wriggle, too.  The question is whether there is a central
 > agency moving forward.

Of course *we* have a central agency moving forward.  It's called
"Emacs", and it has bright red taillights we can follow through the
fog.

It's *you* guys who have to *worry* about being a pack of wriggling
worms, not us.[1]  Worse, your development is constrained by political
considerations that have saddled you with a 1990s bug tracker and a
VCS that gives 1980s performance while satisfying the requirement to
support 1970s workflows.  Not to mention massive internal obstacles to
benefitting from work done by anybody who doesn't actively pledge
allegiance to Emacs. :-(

I really don't think you should kid yourselves about how thriving
Emacs is.  On the other hand, I don't think there's anything
inherently fatal in being an uncoordinated pack of hackers.

Footnotes:
[1]  Of course we are a pack of wriggling worms just as you are, and
just as every FLOSS project that has grown beyond the single hacker
scale is.  The difference is that being #2 means we have an obvious
direction for progress.