Re: Emacs 23.1.93 pretest

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.1.93 pretest
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 20:15:14 +0200

> Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:31:21 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>
> So I think the change in charset.c itself did not cause the bug, it
> just exposed a bug elsewhere, because it reshuffles the heap.

Actually, it turns out it's not ``reshuffling the heap'' that triggers
the bug, but rather the fact that when we call xmalloc, Emacs might
relocate buffer text.

IOW, I found the reason for the bug.  One of the callers of
load_charset_map_from_file maintains pointers into buffer text, so
when that gets relocated, ... you get the idea.

The first naive attempt to solve it was unsuccessful, so there's
probably something else at work here.  Hmm...