Re: Integrating package.el

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: Integrating package.el
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 11:03:12 -0800 (PST)

> Speaking of version strings, are there any conventions how an author
> should version his packages? Currently when I make edits after a
> release and make them public while not wanting to release yet another
> version I usually just add a "+" after the version.

> Not really happy with it. But what should I be doing instead?

Why not just use another layer of versions?

  0.1, 0.1.1, 0.1.2, ..., 0.1.74, 0.2.

The rule I (try to) follow is that the major version number should be
incremented on an incompatible change, the minor version number on a
feature addition, the revision on any (public) bug fix, and (if one uses
it) the build number on any test.

Davis

shipping.