Re: behavior of dired-hide-*

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: behavior of dired-hide-*
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 11:40:57 -0800 (PST)

> It seem to me, according to manual  that the first is to hide directory
> at point and  the second is to hide all directories in current dired
> buffer.

That's correct, but from what follows I suppose you misunderstand what the
documentation for those commands means by "a directory".  A Dired buffer
can list the contents of multiple directories (not just list, one per
line, each of the subdirectories of a single directory).  $ and M-$
manipulate which of these listings is displayed, rather than affecting the
display of any one file (which might happen to be a directory file).

> It hide all for me (files and dirs) and leave only the first line of
> dired buffer (the directory header).(the two commands $ and M-$ do the
> same).

When you only have one directory listed (which is the normal starting
case), they are the same.

Davis

shipping.