Re: AW: Fwd: CEDET sync

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: AW: Fwd: CEDET sync
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 13:06:00 +0900

Chong Yidong writes:
 > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:

 > > I don't recall ever hearing of someone being asked to sign an
 > > assignment so that someone's private integration of XEmacs code
 > > into Emacs could be published.
 >
 > If a contributor has papers, and wants to contribute code to Emacs, and
 > the code is helpful to the Emacs project (i.e. it has to make sense in
 > the Emacs code context), then whether or not the code has also been
 > contributed to XEmacs is irrelevant.  There is no reason to treat it any
 > more or less favorably than any other contribution.

You're sidestepping the question.  The conditions you present are
those that I refer to as "(first) allegiance to Emacs".  What I am
asking for is examples where somebody said (as Juri Linkov just
suggested to Klaus Berndl) "hey, XEmacs has implemented a good
solution already; let's see if we can get papers for it!"  Or "hey,
libfoo has some code that does this, let's see if we can get papers
for that."

I know that David Kastrup has cried many tears over acquiring papers
for AUCTeX, so that's one example of effort (but it's not yet
integrated).