Re: Integrating package.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Integrating package.el
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 19:22:04 -0500

> Right now the obvious answer would be the newest one -- but Stefan wants
> to let the user pick a specific one.  So, I think we'll need a bit of
> additional metadata about this.

The simplest solution is to not decide which at runtime but at some
earlier time.  This of course means that this choice can be out-of-date
(e.g. the choice may say "activate /usr/local/elisp/foo-2.3" but that
directory doesn't even exist any more), but if the changes are made
through the package manager, than those out-of-date problems can be
caught at that point.  And otherwise we can just signal a warning and
let the user invoke the package manager to fix it.

        Stefan