Re: Integrating package.el

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Integrating package.el
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:41:03 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:
 > > Warning: I'm not really sure what the problems are[1], but the user
 > > install vs. system install distinction has never really worked right
 > > in XEmacs's package system.
 >
 > It would help if you could describe the problems encountered,

At my consulting rates, that would be worth about $500. ;-) As I said,
it's not clear what is design and what is PEBKAC, and clarifying that
would require a lot of effort.  We've just had a lot of user
complaints over the years related to specified and/or default
installation locations, permissions issues, etc.  Packages get
installed in places the running XEmacs isn't looking for them,
insufficient privilege to install in the default place, that kind of
thing.  This often seems to be related to system vs. user issues.

At this point I just want to offer the advice that Here Be Dragons (or
at least some cute little lizards) to watch out for.