read syntax for window configs (was: CEDET sync)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: read syntax for window configs (was: CEDET sync)
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 09:07:38 -0800

> >  > Since XEmacs have lots of other object types, maybe
> >  > XEmacs already has a read syntax for window configurations
>
> Window configurations in XEmacs don't have read syntax, but they're
> pretty close, and thus it wouldn't be hard to do.

Read syntax for window (and frame) configs would be very welcome.

Currently, we have things like desktop.el that save some session state, but they
don't save window/frame configs. Lennart was working on something that did that
(winsav.el), but AFAIK he's sort of abandoned it.

FWIW, one of my libraries bookmarks desktops, so you can more easily switch
among different contexts (desktop files). It would be nice to do the same for
window/frame configs.

And it would be nice for desktop.el (and the like) to optionally save
window/frame state also. (Yes, it should be optional.)

And it's obviously good if all such efforts can use the same serialization
format - i.e., if Emacs itself has a read syntax for window/frame configs.