Re: read syntax for window configs

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: read syntax for window configs
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 19:44:01 +0200

>> Lennart was working on something that did that (winsav.el),
>> but AFAIK he's sort of abandoned it.
>
> Eh, no, I have not abondoned it. I am using it and it is part of nXhtml.
>
> To make it work properly in all cases more than simple read syntax is
> required though.

Yes, it requires different representations for different tasks:

1. To manipulate window configurations in one session, a cons tree should keep
pointers to window structures in memory.

2. To save/restore a window configuration to/from .emacs.desktop
requires to serialize/deserialize the window tree.  There is already
buffer serialization using `desktop-create-buffer', but no for windows.

3. To customize window layouts like `ecb-layout-define' that uses
percentage instead of absolute window coordinates.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/