Re: code signing with foreign function interface?

From: joakim
Subject: Re: code signing with foreign function interface?
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 20:39:46 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden
>> Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 07:24:47 +0100
>>
>> The GPL cannot prevent free and non-free code being distributed
>> together. Therefore a distributor can push GPL non-compliance to an
>> unknowing user.
>>
>> If code signing of dynamic libraries is employed, the end-user can be
>> made aware he is breaking the intentions of the GPL. Would this be
>> enough to satisfy the requirements for an Emacs FFI?
>
> Forgive me for asking a possibly dumb question (due to my total
> ignorance on this subject): How will you distinguish system libraries
> (which are exempt of being under GPL) from the other kind?

I didnt mean that all dynamic linkage would use this particular
interface.

To exemplify:

- librsvg2.so is dynamically loaded in image.c.  This will be
untouched.

- libmediastreamer2.so, a random dll I want to use, is loaded with the new
  emacs-ffi facility. But oh no! it doesnt have a proper GPL manifest
  signature. I then use a signing tool to add the signature to the .so
  file, and emacs-ffi is now happy.

- now I want to add the signature to a non-free dll. I can do it easily
  but I will feel bad. If I redistribute the wrongly signed non-free dll
  I will be discovered and humiliated.

- Now I want to add the signature to a free dll with some form of hard
  to understand license which isnt GPL compatible. If I redistribute the
  wrongly signed dll I will be discovered and humiliated, this
  time perhaps unjustly.

--
Joakim Verona