Re: code signing with foreign function interface?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: code signing with foreign function interface?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 09:01:18 +0100

> Emacs cannot tell if the user has made an explicit decision to load
> the module or not, but sometimes will refuse to load the module even
> though the user definitely wants it loaded (and the user may even know
> that the module *is* GPL and why that matters).  That's a "noticeable"
> restriction.  You may not consider it a big deal, but others might.  I
> don't know, so I used the word "noticeable" rather than
> "unacceptable". ;-)

Technical protection measures in Free Software appear mostly meaningless
to me since we are talking about an environment where tracing the action
of the protection is quite feasible.  Building a version which just
circumvents any such protection is easy enough, distributing it should
be perfectly within the scope of the GPL.

In short: you land with an approach inconveniencing those users most who
are willing to accept the decisions leading to the technical restriction
measures.  But for those, we don't need the technical restrictions in
the first place.

It does not seem useful to me to inconvenience our friends more than our
opponents with some measure.

--
David Kastrup