Re: Emacs-23 release branch

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Emacs-23 release branch
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 18:32:31 +0200

>> Having dbus in "net" makes just as little sense to me, so I guess
>> that'd be OK ;-)
>> But we should maybe think of a better directory structure.
>
> D'accord. D-Bus is designed for inter process communication, like
> Corba. Maybe we could introduce a subdirectory "lisp/ipc".

De facto all files in the "lisp/net" subdirectory currently belong to
the "comm" keyword category.  This keyword has the description:
"communications, networking, remote access to files".

I think it makes no sense to create a new subdirectory like "comm"
because in this case we'll have endless discussions whether a file
belongs to the "communications" category and should go to the "comm"
subdirectory or it belongs to the "networking" category and should
go to the "net" subdirectory.

One option is to rename "net" to "comm", so the keyword will match
the subdirectory name, but I'm not sure what practical benefits this
would provide.

Until it is renamed, we could accept the fact that the keyword "comm"
corresponds to the subdirectory name "net", and put all files that
fit the description "communications, networking, remote access to files"
to the "net" subdirectory.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/