Re: Emacs-23 release branch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs-23 release branch
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:03:25 -0500

> Until it is renamed, we could accept the fact that the keyword "comm"
> corresponds to the subdirectory name "net", and put all files that
> fit the description "communications, networking, remote access to files"
> to the "net" subdirectory.

Fair enough.

        Stefan

PS: The directory structure doesn't have to have anything to do with
a user-visible taxonomy.  The main constraints it has are:

- each directory should be large enough to justify its existence
  (typically the threshold is considered to be "more than 20 .el
  files").

- large packages should have their own directory.

- try to use directories so as to avoid having everything right under
  lisp/ (in case the filesystem doesn't handle large directories
  efficiently, or because we don't like the appearance of lack of
  organization).

We could also just use a subdirectory "a" for packages whose name starts
with "a", for all I care.