Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right b

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right by default on UNIX.
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 13:36:47 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard Riley <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Emacs is not occupied territory.  Where it makes no sense, following the
>>> herd is not necessary.

>>> Emacs is not a graphical display application, but an input text oriented
>>> system.  JFTR, xterm has its scrollbar on the _left_.
>>
>> How silly.
>>
>> I, and most users I suspect, would want the scrollbar on the GUI
>> version in the same place as the HUGE majority for GUI "X"
>> applications. On the right.
>>
>> xterm is not a "GUI application" in any but the most pedantic minds.
>
> Neither is Emacs.  Both are focused about plain text input.

Indeed. But its X interface is still on a desktop next to other X
apps. The huge majority of whose scroll bars are on the right. It seems
almost a strange argument to be having.

And emacs is a scrollable UI - its an editor after all. Yes, you can
scroll xterm and urvt etc I know, but its not the same thing at all.

The X interface to Emacs should comply with the huge majority of
neighbouring apps. And thats the scroll bar on the right.

All IMO of course ;) But clearly also in the minds of other X authors.