Re: GDB on Mac is Broken

From: Leo
Subject: Re: GDB on Mac is Broken
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:03:14 +0000

On 2010-03-13 08:05 +0000, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:
>> Could you please explain how these two differences explain the bug?
>> I'm afraid I don't see the immediate connection.
>
> I should have been explained more why the difference in EOL conversion
> affects this issue.  The hang in Emacs 23 on Mac OS X is caused by
> unexpected ^M at EOL when processing gdb output.  Gdb actually outputs
> ^M, but GUD in Emacs 22 did not see ^M because it used dos (CRLF) EOL
> conversion due to the comint code I showed in my previous mail.
>
>                                    YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
>                               address@hidden

Another oddity to this is if I change the process coding system
interactively by C-x RET p and give 'utf-8 for both values, the
completion will work because the coding is now:

(utf-8 . utf-8-unix)

but doing it in elisp as this:

(add-hook 'gud-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (set-buffer-process-coding-system 'utf-8 'utf-8)))

fails.

The process coding system is:

(utf-8-unix . utf-8-unix)

different to the interactive changed one.

I have found the exact same cause of the freeze and have been using this
workaround:

(add-hook 'gud-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (set-buffer-process-coding-system 'utf-8-dos 'utf-8)))

I also wish a proper fix is made available.

Best wishes,
Leo