RE: 23.1.92; `x-show-tip' and `tooltip-frame-parameters' do not respect

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: 23.1.92; `x-show-tip' and `tooltip-frame-parameters' do not respect `left' and `top'
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:49:46 -0800

> >> M-: (x-show-tip "aaaaaaaa" (selected-frame) '((left . 30)
> >> (top . 40)) 10 0 0)
> >>
> >> Instead of displaying the tooltip frame at the absolute
> >> location specified by `left' and `top', it always displays
> >> it at the mouse position plus the DX and DY (0 and 0 here).
> >>
> > This is reported to be a regression against Emacs 22.
> > Unfortunately, it's Windows-only, and I can't reproduce it.
> > Could someone with access to a Windows box give it a shot
>
> Emacs 23.1.93.1 (Pretest) on Windows 7: the tooltip follows
> the mouse as described. Also, the tooltip is only visible
> when the mouse is NOT within the Emacs window but somewhere
> else on the desktop. Then the tooltip appears with the mouse
> cursor pointing to the upper left corner. It does not appear
> at all when the mouse cursor is within the bounds of
> the Emacs window. Therefore, in full screen mode the tooltip
> never appears.

Hm. That's not what I see, in GNU Emacs 23.1.92.1  (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of
2010-02-20 on LENNART-69DE564 Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.',
version 5.1.2600 configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/g/include -fno-crossjumping'.

In my case, the tooltip does appear when the mouse pointer is within the window.

But at least you confirm that the frame parameters `left' and `top' are being
ignored and the tooltip appears at the mouse position (when it appears, in your
case).