Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right b

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right by default on UNIX.
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 14:02:40 -0400

AM> On the right, the scroll bar doesn't get in the way, at least not
AM> very much.

In other words, it is essentially invisible and might as well not exist
at all.  A nice narrow, neutral gray or grayish bar has just the right
visibility to provide data w/o distraction.

AM> On the left, it is very close to where you're mostly
AM> inserting/deleting/reading text,

and hense is w/in view and therefore usable.

AM> I think it's based on the assumption that a scroll bar is an
AM> essential part of editing that nobody can bear to be without; that
AM> it'll be getting used so often that nobody could possibly object
AM> to it.  I think these assumptions warrant examination, particularly
AM> under Emacs.

The most important use of the scroll bar in a keyboard-controlable app
like Emacs is as a visual reference to the size of the buffer as compared
to the size of the visible window.

That only works when it is near the text.

Most apps should have their vertical bar on the left in l2r locales and
right in r2l locales.  And they should blend into the background except
when you actually want to look at them.  Emacs --with-toolkit=athena
does that exceptionally well.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6