Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right b

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right by default on UNIX.
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:01:09 +0000

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 02:02:40PM -0400, James Cloos wrote:

> AM> On the right, the scroll bar doesn't get in the way, at least not
> AM> very much.

> In other words, it is essentially invisible and might as well not exist
> at all.  A nice narrow, neutral gray or grayish bar has just the right
> visibility to provide data w/o distraction.

No.  It's visible, but not intrusive there.  Anyhow, as I said, I run
Emacs without a scroll bar.

> AM> On the left, it is very close to where you're mostly
> AM> inserting/deleting/reading text,

> and hence is w/in view and therefore usable.

> AM> I think it's based on the assumption that a scroll bar is an
> AM> essential part of editing that nobody can bear to be without; that
> AM> it'll be getting used so often that nobody could possibly object
> AM> to it.  I think these assumptions warrant examination, particularly
> AM> under Emacs.

> The most important use of the scroll bar in a keyboard-controlable app
> like Emacs is as a visual reference to the size of the buffer as
> compared to the size of the visible window.

I would think it's more of a personal thing

> That only works when it is near the text.

I would think that's a personal thing, too.

> Most apps should have their vertical bar on the left in l2r locales and
> right in r2l locales.  And they should blend into the background except
> when you actually want to look at them.  Emacs --with-toolkit=athena
> does that exceptionally well.

Again, it's a competition between being easily visible and cluttering up
an important part of your frame.  It's a bit like the blinking cursor
debate.  I think we'd agree, it wouldn't be a bad idea for the scroll bar
position to be an option.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).