Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right b

From: Christophe Poncy
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right by default on UNIX.
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 06:29:51 +0100

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 15:30:31, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
> I expect that beginners are more likely to use the scroll bar, while
> experienced users would not. But the experienced users can turn off
> the scroll bar, or move it, so we need not cater to them. The
> beginners are the most important users to think about when making this
> decision.

Hello Richard,

The real question here is closely related to efficiency. Some of my friends ask me why I like emacs so much. There are a lot of reasons, but I think the main one is that it's much effective to use the keyboard. Learning to work in the Emacs way was an investment, but the effort has made me more proficient in my profession. IMHO, your idea of a "keyboard immersion mode" would be much helpful for beginners [1]. I use emacs for 3 years now and i look forward the Emacsification of the entire GNU system, but it's another question :)

Best regards

Footnotes:
[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-11/msg01223.html

--