AW: delete-selection-mode

From: Berndl, Klaus
Subject: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 13:23:38 +0100

Since Emacs editing interferes with typical editing commands today my vote is
"yes".

Of course this is a little bit provoking, so please do not feel offened!

But IMHO the following is fact: Today Emacs has very strong competitors
concerning "what is the most effective way to code my programs" - a lot of
(commercial or free or open source) so called IDEs have adopted some of the
pure editing power of Emacs but offer on top some power Emacs still lacks
today, as for example real, fast and powerful refactoring, code navigation and
other goodies you need much more for effective Code-development than some
certain Emacs-specials. Well, with integrating CEDET Emacs has began to go the
right direction but far away from the goal. Fact is, a lot of people which do
not develop for open source but are employee at IT-companies develop with
commercial IDEs cause of the advantages above. But this is not the only reason:
Currently there are some quite standards concerning look and feel and also
interaction with an editor/IDE. If these standard are the best approaches is
not the question, we have simply to accept that there are these standards
people expect when working with text-editing. And dealing with selections is
one of these standards and it make NO sense to fight against it. IMHO Emacs
must drop the inhibition  threshold a lot of people still have to engage in
Emacs. But for these Emacs must go out from its corner especially concerning
fundamental and basic interactions of the user with its tool. many many user
wants to go well known paths here. If this inhibition  threshold falls then
Emacs newbies would be more willing to dig into Emacs and to explore the
delicacies and "unique selling points" Emacs can offer compared with other
IDEs...

Take a look at gimp, one of the most successfull open source piece of code
(well, a really big piece ;-): Gimp's success grows a.a. because gimp offers
that the user can owrk with gimp in the quite same way as with photoshop -
whereas the latter one is a defacto-standard in image editing. next gimp 2.8.
will offer a single-window mode simply because people expect it!

Emacs should offer what people want and expect if it wants to have the chance
to competite with other powerful IDEs.

To make a long story short: Emacs is a great peace of software and i like it
very much (otherwise i would not have developed ECB). And it has really earned
the chance to "win" more users, also from the "other side"... Fot this the
default setting of Emacs should follow the defacto standards. And all Emacs
old-timers should have an easy way to go back to the Emacs-mode to interact
with their editor...maybe Emacs could display an hint for new users that there
are more - and maybe even better ways - to interact with Emacs - and how to
deal with that but the default should be the standard - not the Emacs standard
but the "world" standards.

best regards
Klaus