Re: AW: delete-selection-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:54:58 -0400

> I use delete-selection mode, but mainly for one reason: I want DEL to
> delete the region when it's active.

How 'bout this:

Generalize the feature we already have under mouse-region-delete-keys to
apply to the region regardless whether it was activated by the mouse
or not.

This will be a good occasion to get rid of the butt-ugly and
bug-inducing code that implements the feature now.  And it will provide
the DEL part of delete-selection-mode.

I'd be happy to also provide the self-insert behavior of
delete-selection-mode, but at least this intermediate step sounds very
good to me.

The implementation should keep an eye towards generalizing it to
self-insertion keys (i.e. maybe it should just use the code from
delete-selection-mode).

        Stefan