Re: delete-selection-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:56:31 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> Keeping old users is more important than attracting new ones.
>> Since new ones eventually become old ones anyway.
>
> I suspect old users who won't like delete-selection-mode,
> already turned transient-mark-mode off anyway.

I am not an old user then, and neither is Richard (I think that he stays
with the defaults in that respect).

So wrong on count #1.

> So enabling delete-selection-mode should not affect them.

    delete-selection-mode is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in
    `delsel.el'.

[...]

    When Delete Selection mode is enabled, Transient Mark mode is also
    enabled and typed text replaces the selection if the selection is
    active.  Otherwise, typed text is just inserted at point regardless
    of any selection.

So wrong on count #2 as well.

--
David Kastrup