Re: AW: delete-selection-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:39:18 -0400

>> How 'bout this:
>>
>> Generalize the feature we already have under mouse-region-delete-keys to
>> apply to the region regardless whether it was activated by the mouse
>> or not.
>>
>> This will be a good occasion to get rid of the butt-ugly and
>> bug-inducing code that implements the feature now.  And it will provide
>> the DEL part of delete-selection-mode.
> That would be fine.  Call it `region-delete-keys'?

No idea.  Maybe we want to "bind" it to commands rather than to keys
(IIRC delete-selection-mode binds it to commands).  Maybe we want to
implement it along the same lines as what we did for shift-selection by
adding something in the `interactive' form of the commands.

> Should we keep `region-delete-keys' around still?

You mean `mouse-region-delete-keys'?  I wouldn't waste too much time
trying to preserve compatibility with user customization of
this variable, no.

        Stefan