AW: delete-selection-mode

From: Berndl, Klaus
Subject: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 17:19:50 +0100

>> But the Emacs team must take a decision: Is it a main goal for Emacs
>> to "acquire" many newcomers or is this not a main goal?!

>It is a goal, but not a main goal.  And you won't acquire newcomers by
>swatting them with inconsistent and incomprehensible overall behavior
>for which no rationale can be given.

Here i fully agree. My vote is not especially for delete-selection-mode is on
as default but for a default behavior newcomer-people would expect when dealing
with
selections. And you are fully right with your request for a consistent behavior.
I admit i can not follow all your explanation and recommendations but i can say,
that i would find it best if the behavior would always be the same regardless
if the
selection was made by mouse or by keyboard: Always if there is a highlighted
selection then the behavior should be the same: DEL and self-inserting keys
delete the selection and do not affect the kill-ring. Or more generally: Emacs
should
handle highlighted selections by default exactly as any other program too, this
means
the way to create such selections and how to deal with them (For example i
always use
cua-mode and this mode works perfectly for what i want and - IMHO - what new
people
mostly expect from a program which supports inserting text)

There should be exactly one screw to switch this on and this screw should be
switched on
by default.

Klaus

--