AW: delete-selection-mode

From: Berndl, Klaus
Subject: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:53:46 +0100

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>    It does have many more effects.  The most significant one is that any
>>>    self-inserting key typed when the region is active will cause the region
>>>    to be deleted before the char is inserted.
>
>> Is this true even when the region has been activated by keyboard commands?
>> If so, perhaps it is a bug.  Perhaps the feature should only apply when
>> you make the region using the mouse.

>I think it would be a very bad idea to introduce an invisible state
>this way. (I agree with Klaus here - if I do not misunderstand him.)

You have understood right. It should not matter if the selection has been
made by mouse or keyboard. This yould be very inconsistant and even more
confusing.
I intentionally write "selection" and not "region" because what i have i mind is
the concept that a user can highlight some text and then can do something with
it.
Because this is named a selection in all other apps i name it also selection.
Probably t-m-m active is the equivalent in emacs. I write "probably" because
currently
there are too many confusing screws for this and similar toics: there is t-m-m,
there is d-s-m, there is cua-mode, there is mouse-region-delete-keys and
probably
some other i have never heard...

1. Emacs should support exactly this "selection" conxept in exactly that way
all other
   apps does
2. This should be the default behavior
3. There should as few as possible screws to modify the behavior - currently
there are too
   many and i assume some of them are not really disjunct but somehow
overlapping.