Re: AW: delete-selection-mode

From: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:19:46 -0700

On Mar 18, 2010, at 11:10 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> The slightly more advanced beginner who doesn't want to use the mouse
>> will instead use an arrow key, again like they do in every other
>> editing context that they've ever used.  Again, they will get no bell.
>
> Hmm?? The arrow key will not (in general) deactivate the region.

I tested it before I sent my response, just to make sure that it wasn't some
setting of mine.

        With bzr emacs revno 99685
        Run emacs with -Q
        load some multiline chunk of text
        sweep out a chunk of that text with the mouse
        watch it become highlighted

Then:

        hit an arrow key:  the cursor moves and the region deactivates

Or:

        hit delete and see the region deleted

Or:

        hit another self-inserting key and see the region deactivated and the
key inserted at the end.

It's only that last that betrays new-user expectations.  If
delete-selection-mode is enabled, things proceed as the new user expects.

*Chad