Re: kill-ring visualization

From: joakim
Subject: Re: kill-ring visualization
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:37:45 +0100

Leo <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2010-03-18 14:06 +0000, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> I find browse-kill-ring very convenient.
>>> It cleverly advices m-y so if its run before any preceding yank, it
>>> shows the contents of the kill-ring and the user can select one entry to
>>> be yanked.
>>> Could something like this be included in Emacs-24? I feel it would be
>>> useful to newcomers (and old-timers with bad short-term memory like me)
>>
>> I think it's indeed a very nice feature.  I end up not using it much,
>> but at least it seems like a natural use for M-y.
>>
>> OTOH the few times I've used it I wished it use a form of completion.
>> Basically, I'd like it to use an interface similar to completing-read,
>> except maybe that it'd bring up the *Completions* buffer right away (and
>> that the completion would use a substring search).
>>
>> So I think if we want to enable such a feature by default, it'd need to
>> be better integrated with the completion code.
>
> I think at least it should be built on top of ewoc. It seems like a
> natural choice.
>
> I have been using b-k-r for around 2 years, at least keeping it around.
> But unfortunately when I need it, it refuses to insert the text from
> time to time, which is really annoying. So I wrote something really

I think this happens because b-k-r doesnt wash away overlays. For
instance, when killing a text containing a button, that button is still
active in the b-k-r buffer. That ought to be fixable.

That said, I dont have any particular preference on the implementation
used in the end.

> simple for myself and I tried to make it work with the existing kill
> yank facility in Emacs. I think new features can be easily added.
>
> I posted the code here: http://paste.lisp.org/display/96565

Looks nice!

--
Joakim Verona