Re: AW: delete-selection-mode

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:02:05 -0400

Harald Hanche-Olsen <address@hidden> writes:

> With no region active, use shift+movement commands to create a
> region. Hit an unshifted arrow key, and the highlight goes away. So
> far so good.
>
> Next, repeat this, but hit C-x C-x while the region is still
> active. Hit an unshifted arrow key, and the highlight goes away. Okay.
>
> Finally, hit C-x C-x again. The region is visible again, but this
> time, unshifted arrow keys don't make it go away. This seems
> inconsistent, and might well confuse the beginner who has just started
> learning about C-x C-x.

shift-selection is an inferior method of marking a region.  We provide
shift-selection because the keybindings don't conflict with the
canonical method, but it is a special case.

"The beginner who has just started learning about C-x C-x" should be
learning about the canonical method of manipulating regions (i.e., using
a proper region, such as by typing C-SPC and moving the point away).