Re: AW: delete-selection-mode

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:21:54 -0400

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

>> What's so special about DEL?  IIUC, your proposal essentially binds DEL to
>> `delete-region' when the region is active.
>
> Yes, and that's _good_.  It's simple, straight-forward, and has the good
> points without the bad points.
>
> The goal is _not_ to turn Emacs into windows, it's to help people with
> windows-influenced muscle-memory a bit, when doing so is not harmful.

More importantly, it's consistent with the existing semantics of
transient mark mode.  Many Emacs commands act on the region when it's
active, and it seems natural for DEL to be one of these commands.

By contrast, it's not clear to me that self-inserting characters ought
to "act on the region" in the sense of replacing its contents.