Re: AW: delete-selection-mode

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 06:06:15 +0900

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
>> More importantly, it's consistent with the existing semantics of
>> transient mark mode.  Many Emacs commands act on the region when it's
>> active, and it seems natural for DEL to be one of these commands.
>>
>> By contrast, it's not clear to me that self-inserting characters ought
>> to "act on the region" in the sense of replacing its contents.
>
> As I understand from counter-arguments, opponents agree with
> self-inserting characters replacing the region, but only when
> the region is activated explicitly, and not by side-effects of
> setting the mark or exchanging the mark and point.

I think having magically different types of active region (which look
the same, but act differently) is very confusing, and we should not be
adding more such behavior (I understand the mouse currently has wacky
behavior like this, but That's Bad).

If the region is active, it should act active, regardless of how you got
there.

-Miles

--
Inhumanity, n. One of the signal and characteristic qualities of humanity.